The Central New Jersey Partnership to Enhance Mathematics Achievement (CNJ PEMA)
The Central New Jersey Partnership to Enhance Mathematics Achievement (CNJ PEMA) has partnered with the school districts of Franklin Township and North Brunswick Township (in year 1), and New Brunswick (in year 2) to work with teachers in grades 3-8 under this NJ Department of Education MSP (Math Science Partnership) award. Among its goals, CNJ PEMA looks to increase the academic achievement of students in mathematics by:
- developing grade 3-8 teachers' mathematical understanding of Common Core content.
- enhancing participating teachers' capacity to teach algebraic thinking for understanding, mathematical reasoning, strategic problem solving, and computational accuracy.
- creating a vibrant community of teachers engaged in coursework and professional development that leads to greater student achievement on objective state measures.
New Jersey Partnership for Excellence in Middle School Mathematics (NJ PEMSM)
Now in its fourth year, the New Jersey Partnership for Excellence in Middle School Mathematics (NJ PEMSM), a National Science Foundation-funded project, has partnered with 13 school districts to work with mid-career middle grades math teachers to enhance their knowledge of the mathematics they teach daily. Partner districts include: Berkeley Heights, Carteret, Edison, Elizabeth, Franklin, Linden, Long Branch, Matawan-Aberdeen, North Brunswick, Old Bridge, Orange, Plainfield, Sayreville, Toms River, and Union Township. Among its goals, NJPEMSM focuses on preparing a cadre of mid-career middle school mathematics teachers who:
- understand the mathematics of middle school more deeply.
- engage their students more effectively in studying and learning mathematics.
- take on leadership activities such as facilitator of in-house content-based professional development for their colleagues.