This state-approved certificate program is designed to enable educators to create and run a makerspace, become proficient in maker-based projects, and explore maker-centered pedagogy for STEM-rich learning. This unique graduate certificate program is perfect for K-12 educators, librarians, media specialists, woodshop teachers, college educators, tech enthusiasts and those specializing in STEM or STEAM.
Next start date: 01/18/2022
Application deadline: 01/12/2022
*100% virtual through at least January 30 due to Covid-19 Omicron variant concerns. In-person meetings are subject to change based on public health guidance.
New*Introduction to Design Thinking* Coming in Fall 2022
We are piloting a new course that will be a part of future inclusion in the Maker Certificate program. Read details here.
Format & Schedule
The program is offered in hybrid format, with live classes (virtual and/or face-to-face) alternating weekly with asynchronous, virtual classes. Live classes are held one day per week from late afternoon to early evening. All face-to-face meetings will be held in the Rutgers Makerspace following strict social distancing and other COVID safety guidelines. A 100% online option can be discussed with an instructor as needed.
SPRING APPLICATION DEADLINES: No applications can be admitted less than one week before the beginning of the semester in which the program would be started. Applications must be submitted and complete by January 12th, 2022.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: To be considered for admission to the program, applicants must provide all of the following:
- Personal statement/narrative (approximately one page in length) that describes why the program is relevant to the applicant’s interests and/or career goals
- One letter of recommendation
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Only complete applications will be reviewed.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants who are not current GSE students apply online at the Graduate Admissions website: http://gradstudy.rutgers.edu/
- Under the apply window, click on “Apply Now” and follow the instructions given.
- Create an Account or login.
- For "Level of Application, select Graduate
- For "Applicant Type," select Certificate
- For "Area of Study," select Education
- For "Location/Instructional Method," select New Brunswick
- For "Program Selection," select Education - Maker Education (Certificate) New Brunswick
- Complete the application by providing the requested information.
- Supporting materials must be submitted online or mailed to the Graduate Admissions office at Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions (New Brunswick), Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 65 Davidson Road, Room 200L, Piscataway, NJ 08854-5602 U.S.A.
- Enter payment information for the non-refundable application fee.
- Submit your application.
Current GSE Students:
All applicants who are currently enrolled in a GSE program and wish to begin the certificate program while continuing their current program should contact the GSE Office of Student and Academic Services (OSAS) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants are responsible for reviewing and confirming that they meet program requirements before the application is submitted. Rutgers Graduate School of Education WILL NOT refund the application fee if an applicant is not accepted.
- When the entire application process is complete, students simply register for the courses in the program as described on the program handouts and on the GSE website gse.rutgers.edu. It is the responsibility of the student to enroll in all of the required courses through Rutgers University. No program requirements may be met at any other institution. Students are expected to maintain a “B” or better average as a non-degree student. Accepted students will have 5 years to complete the program.
- After completing all of the required courses in the program, students should contact the Office of Academic Services at the GSE. Students will receive official documentation of their completion, endorsed by the Rutgers University Graduate School of Education.
TUITION AND FEES:
- Costs align with graduate tuition of the Rutgers Graduate School of Education, currently $757.50 per credit, and applicable student fees (Off-campus fee of $269 per semester and computer fee of $113.50 for 3 credits).
- https://finance.rutgers.edu/student-abc/tuition-fees (click for New Brunswick, Graduate Tuition for .pdf table)
PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
|Course Number.||Course Name.||Credits|
|15:290:553||Spring, 2022 - Developing a Maker Mindset||3|
|15:290:555||Summer, 2022 - Makerspace Safety and Emergency Lab (*note: approval for transition from 1-credit to 3-credit course currently pending)||1 / 3|
|15:290:554||Summer, 2022 - Designing/Facilitating Maker-Centered Learning Environments||3|
|15:290:559||Fall, 2022 - Maker Education Capstone||3|
|Total Credits||10 / 12|
Limited Scholarships available!
A limited number of competitive scholarships are available for this program. You may apply for a scholarship by completing the application form. Selections will be made based on two criteria: financial need and merit of your application. The primary eligibility requirement is participating in and completing the full for- credit program. Please complete the scholarship application here.
VI. PROGRAM FACULTY:
Chris Anderson, Ms.Ed.
Todd Menadier, M.S.
Edward Cohen, Ph.D..
Janice Gobert, Ph.D.